Measure M makes four (4) changes to the Specific Plan:
- Excludes private balconies, terraces and rooftops from counting toward a project’s open space requirement
- Limits office development to 100,000 SF per project (only applies to 4 sites in the 130 acre Downtown Plan area)
- Limits the total amount of office space within the Plan boundary to 240,820 SF
- Limits total non-residential development within the Plan boundary to 474,000 SF
Measure M’s development limits on development are taken directly from the 30-year build-out scenario in the Plan’s Environmental Impact Report’s (EIR)*.
Measure M adopted the EIR’s build-out scenario because its environmental and fiscal impacts were thoroughly vetted and it reflects the balanced, vibrant, mixed-use development envisioned by residents.
The City Council remains in control of all the rest of the 356-page Plan’s zoning rules
* The EIR (page 3-11) and 30-year projections were:
- 680 units of housing
- 380 hotel rooms
- 91,800 SF of retail
- 240,820 SF of commercial office
Total non-residential equals 474,000 SF